Virginia Tech-Georgia Tech is rightfully getting a lot of national attention, but there are other games important to the ACC race today. To the links:
- ACC: The News & Observer’s J.P. Giglio grades the league’s performance as so-so, so far. The Virginian-Pilot’s Kyle Tucker conducted an informal poll of ACC beat writers and found Virginia Tech freshman RB Ryan Williams leading the ACC Player of the Year race at midseason.
- Wake Forest at Clemson: Despite their recent losing streak, the Tigers still have a shot to be winners in ACC play. Meanwhile, Wake RB Josh Adams is looking a lot like he did when he was ACC Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2007.
- N.C. State at Boston College: Old friends Frank Spaziani and Tom O’Brien will face each other as opposing head coaches for the first time. The stakes of the game make it more than a friendly matchup.
- Virginia at Maryland: Both the Terrapins and Cavaliers have seen attendance drop this season, and, somehow, both are still in the ACC race.
- Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech: Georgia Tech is facing a must-win game to have any shot at playing for the ACC championship. The Hokies have less than a week to prepare for the Yellow Jackets’ tricky triple-option offense, but the Jackets will also have to deal with Williams, who provides style and substance for Virginia Tech.
- Miami at Central Florida: The Hurricanes have been hit by a recent rash of injuries, giving the Knights some hope of an upset. On a personal note, UCF has a special place in my heart because the closest Bojangles’ to my home is near its Orlando campus.